Our founder, Jan van den Elzen, started the company in 1956 as a producer of outdoor vegetable crops and small fruit. Right from the outset, the company distinguished itself by the use of modern technology to enable it to optimally react to customer wishes.
This drive for innovation was not confined to technology, but was also expressed in our market approach. In the 1970s, Van den Elzen Plantenkwekerij, as it was then called, was one of the first horticultural companies to specialise in producing plant material.
In the mid-1980s, Jan van den Elzen’s sons Jos and Henk started working in the company full-time. This led to a robust round of investments in machines, glasshouses and a processing hall with coldstores so that the company would be able to better comply with the strongly increased demand from customers.
In 2006, a new business premises was built next to the existing facilities. The new premises consist of a processing hall, extra coldstores and a new office. The new processing hall features one of the most advanced installations for grading plant material in the world.
This firm basis has helped the company to become a major international player, with customers throughout Europe. And the organization was regularly adjusted to maintain compliance with the ever-stricter requirements of our international client base. To underline these positive developments, new corporate branding and a new website were introduced in 2016.